Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Sky's a Different Blue




The sun slowly slipped down behind the Appalachian foothills surrounding Fern Hill Farm.  The guests were dressed in their Sunday best and were waiting patiently for the ceremony to start.  The beautiful bride arrived in a cranberry colored 1930’s Ford that Gatsby himself would have envied. Dressed in ivory and clutching her bouquet of crimson flowers her father had grown and arranged himself, she was the perfect mixture of homegrown and high fashion.  All the planning and the stress and the dress fittings, all the food tasting and the sleepless nights, all the fuss and the long distance arrangements dealing with a bridesmaid 900 miles away (yours truly of course) had all come down to this.  They had the flowers and the rings and their vows and the music.  They had a feast of BBQ and homemade pie waiting and they had the perfect weather on a Kentucky August night.  Most of all, they had a host of family and friends, myself included surrounding them as they embarked on the journey of being husband and wife.  It was a whirlwind of emotion and I barely had time to prepare myself to do it all over again.  Oh yeah… remember that little black dress I was supposed to wear for this joyous occasion?  It fit :)


 Three weeks passed and I hopped a plane back to Kentucky.  Tucked safely in my carry-on luggage were a strappy pair of silver heels and more importantly, a size 6 plum colored bridesmaid dress.  I hadn’t tried it on since April… when I was 10 lbs lighter.  I was mentally preparing myself for going to buy some spanx and practicing shallow breathing, you know…  just in case I had to suck it in to keep from busting out.  I texted the bride (my cousin) and told her I wanted to apologize in advance if I looked like a busted can of biscuits on her special day.  In true snarky family style, she replied “you better be glad I love you”.  And I was.  I was so honored that she had chosen me to share in her special day.  After college, the two of us had not had a chance to spent any time together.  My husband and I had moved to Florida and she had moved to Northern Kentucky, settling about 2 hours from the little hometown where we shared so many great childhood memories.  She had a son who was the light of her life, become one of the greatest Middle School Science teachers, and met a wonderful man who made her complete.  What a joy it was to share in all of that.

I landed on Friday, had lunch with my parents and “brother” and headed back for a little retail therapy at Just Plain Fancy Boutique.  While I was there, I tried on that bridesmaid’s dress.  I needed to know whether we were taking an emergency run to the mall for some Spanx and maybe a crowbar… to get me back out of the dress of course.  


It zipped.  When I say it zipped, I mean I had a LOT of help maneuvering and held my breath as the zipper made its way from bottom to top.  I knew I was one carb filled meal or dairy product away from bursting out of that dress.  I was devastated.  That dress was loose when I got it and now it had become my second skin.  But it zipped… and that would have to do.


The next day I avoided carbs, dairy and even water (which I know is not healthy) like the plague.  I kept telling myself that I just had to make it until after the ceremony.  Luckily, getting my hair done, a mani/pedi, make up, and helping set up occupied a lot of my time.  When the time came to slip that dress on for pre-wedding pictures, it was still tight, but I could breathe and move without sending my zipper flying into someone’s eye.  


The minutes counted down until ceremony time.  It was time for the beautiful bride to put on her gown.  The other bridesmaid and myself watched as the mother and maid of honor helped her slip into a strapless A-line with just the right amount of sparkle.  They zipped her up, fixed her veil and touched up her lipstick.


At that moment, as I stood back and watched her put the finishing touches on in the mirror, nothing else mattered.  She was clothed in happiness and love.  It wouldn’t have mattered if had come down the aisle that day in my skivvies for the bride was picture perfect.  There was one lucky groom waiting for her and I know he was blown away when he first saw her walking in.  Her fairytale day had arrived and all eyes were on the beautiful bride.


When I told the respective brides that I had gained 10 pounds they didn’t believe me.  When people tell me at I look great, often times, I don’t believe them.  Am I continuing to eat right, exercise and train?  Yes.  Will I continue to try and improve my body?  Yes.  But often times, I’m so hung up on who I used to be that it’s very hard to appreciate how far I’ve come.  I know I’m getting stronger, faster, and healthier.  I know I’ve improved in so many ways.  But I’m the first to admit that there are days when I look in the mirror and I don’t see a size 6.  I see a size 16.  The person I used to be.  I know that my perception of myself in the mirror is markedly different than how others perceive how I look.  I’m working on that.  I’m working on being less hard on myself and truly realizing that I’ve come a long way from the girl who had to lay down on the bed to zip those “Juniors Plus” jeans.  At this point, the battle isn’t in the physical work, it’s in having mental and emotional strength.  


I have to start telling myself “You can do this”, “You’ve come so far” and “You will achieve that racing weight your desire”.  Most of all, I have to start trusting other people.  Trust that they see the real me.  Trust that their compliments are sincere and trust that they see all the hard work I’ve put in, even on the days that I don’t.
  
Love yourself so you can love other people.  Don’t become so hung up on a number or a size that each day becomes a mental battle with yourself to even leave the house without feeling “fat” or “ugly”.  I know I have to start truly following this advice. 

Love that feeling that you get after a run or a great workout.  Love the way you look in that new dress you just bought.  Love the journey and not just the destination.


At the end of the day, it’s all about love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment