Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cheater, Cheater Pants on Fire

So it's been 8 days since I began this Paleo journey.  Bad news blog readers... I'm a cheater.  I know, know!  *Hangs head in shame*  You see, this past weekend was my friend's birthday and she wanted none other than the Cathedral of Carbohydrates... Maggiano's.  There were 9 of us so we chose the family style meal where everyone shares.  I was good.  I had the chicken breast and salad.  And then they brought out fried cheese.  CHEESE!  Remember how I love cheese?  So I took a bite.  Wasn't worth it.  So I chugged on through my meal until it was time for dessert.  

Oh.  Em. Gee.  Maggiano's chocolate cake.  For those of you who have never eaten this cake before, let me paint you a picture.  Imagine angels coming down from the heavens and sprinkling a little bit of this and a little bit of that into a giant mixing bowl and bake until the most moist cake ever to grace your lips is finished.  They then cover that dark chocolate, heavenly goodness in a thick layer of chocolate mousse and ice the whole thing in a ganache.  Not just any ganache.  Thick, creamy, chocolaty.  I feel dirty just thinking about it.  So... I ate it.  And not just one bite.  Several bites.  (And maybe someone else's cake too).  Did it taste good?  Most definitely.  Was it worth the stomach ache the next day?  No.  Yes.  Maybe?  Oh who am I kidding, yes it was worth it.

Now, I won't be making a habit of indulging but I'm also one to participate in special occasions.  I won't be that person who turns down EVERYTHING at a birthday party because it doesn't fit my lifestyle.  Besides, if my Memaw taught me anything, it's never turn down a meal given to you, especially when sharing in joyous occasions.  So I "broke Paleo" for one meal in the company of good friends and good times and for that, I'm not ashamed.  I got right back on track first thing on Sunday and have been going strong since.

So how has this past week gone?  Fantastic.  Sure, it takes a little more time to prep each of my meals and snacks so that I have Paleo friendly food at work.  Sure, it's hard to resist the kindness of my peers at work when they leave baked goods abound in the Faculty and Staff lounge... but I do.  Why?  Because even after just a week of changing the way I eat, I feel Pretty.  Dang.  Good.  No post carb crashes (except for that post cake coma), no fatigue, no intense cravings where I felt like I needed a bagel or four.  

Next week I plan to do a weigh in half-way through my 30 day challenge.  I can tell you that I feel less "bloated" and more energetic. 

This carb loading, dessert loving maniac actual feels full and satisfied despite cutting out all of those grains and dairy.   I'm curious myself as to what results the next 3 weeks will bring.  Could this actually be the lifestyle for me?

**The Title of this Blog Post is dedicated to one of my best friends Becca who coined the phrase "Cheater, Cheater Pants on Fire"

1 comment:

  1. That chocolate cake definitely sounds like it was worth the cheat.

    But that pants thing? I have a fire extinguisher if you need it.

    ReplyDelete