Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Hangry?


So, if you are back today it's probably because you want to know how yesterday went for this carbivore on the paleo plan (Right, right!?).

I will have to admit, I figured yesterday would be no bueno.  And by no bueno I mean I figured I would be like "GIVE ME A FREAKIN' MUFFIN OR I'M GOING TO CUT YOU WITH A RUSTY SPORK!" kind of day.  But it wasn't.  My egg, pepper, and kale breakfast kept me quite satisfied until my mid morning snack of an apple and almond butter.  I spent my lunch hour at Bull Fitness' Complete Core class and was off to work.  I grabbed a handful of cashews and headed out the door. 

By mid-afternoon when I usually desperately seeking a carbohydrate pick me up, I was still feeling surprisingly satisfied.  This was even after sitting through an hour and half meeting when I usually tend to feel the pangs of hunger creep in.  My stomach never interrupted our productivity with an angry growl and I didn't feel "Hangry" (Hungry+Angry=Hangry, look it up!).  Some chopped red bell peppers, sliced turkey and a container of strawberries and blueberries were all I needed in the afternoon.

By the time I got home from teaching the evening class, it was nearly 8 PM.  I made a quick detour at The Fresh Market for a rotisserie chicken and a container of spinach.  Voila!  Dinner is served.  My husband and I enjoyed salads with chicken, strawberries and some cashews.

So, I had gone the whole day with not even a bread crumb and yet I felt full.  No mid-afternoon crash, no hangriness, no growling stomach.  Could it even be possible?!

Now I will say this:  A headache slowly creeped up on my yesterday evening but seems to have disappeared this morning.  I am prone to headaches anyway so I cannot discern whether there was a causal relationship between my diet change and my aching head, but I do know that it's not here today. 
 
So, the part you've been "weighting" for:  
Yesterday's weight141.6
Yesterday's Body Fat Percentage29.1% 

I knew that the weekend feast of green waffles and syrup contributed to some post St. Patrick's Day carbo bloat so just out of curiosity I stepped on the scale this morning and I was right at 139 pounds.  If that number doesn't change (which is highly unlikely) this venture will not be unsuccessful.  I'm focusing on getting my body fat percentage down to a healthier number.  My first goal is to reach 24% which is on the upper end for a 20 something female in the "fitness" category.  (This is, of course a longer term goal, and I don't expect to reach that number after 30 days)  


I've included a handy chart below so you can utilize it yourself:

General Body Fat Percentage Categories (based on the American Council on Exercise)

Classification Women (% fat) Men (% fat)
Essential Fat 10-12% 2-4%
Athletes 14-20% 6-13%
Fitness 21-24% 14-17%
Acceptable 25-31% 18-25%
Obese 32% plus 25% plus

 Now enjoy this image of Pebbles and Bam Bam playing baseball :)

Bam Bam!

3 comments:

  1. After I see how you two do on this (twas talking with Cam on the phone last night about his take on it too) I may try it... just nervous considering that "stash" in my bedroom closet lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also.... FLINTSTONES!!! SQUEEEE... I love that show :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know of this stash. I shan't be getting into it on my visit up this time :P And I watched the Flintstones pretty much every day when I was little!

    ReplyDelete