Thursday, March 7, 2013

Elvis and Girl Scouts



Raise your hand if you love peanut butter?  *Two hands high in the air!* I love peanut butter…  peanut butter cookies, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, apples and peanut butter, peanut butter and jelly and my arch nemesis this time of year, “Tagalongs” peddled by those wonderful little humans dressed in green sashes and a smile.  I can just pass by the Girl Scout Cookie booth at the nearest Publix Supermarket and feel my behind getting bigger.  


My husband works out.  A lot.  And his metabolism must be much better than mine.  He can afford to consume a few extra calories in the form of processed, chocolate covered, peanut buttery tagalong goodness.  I on the other hand am trying to lose a few more body fat percentage points, so I can’t be settling in to watch Duck Dynasty with a box of cookies and a glass of milk.  I am also trying to supplement more protein in my diet (time to build lean muscle!).  That in itself is a challenge when trying to consume less calories during the day. 


The solution?  “The Elvis” protein shake.  Now I have some form of a protein shake everyday with variations depending on the type of fruit/milk/etc. we have in the house.  Now I know what you are thinking… Elvis must mean peanut butter and banana.  Crazy woman, don’t you know how many calories are in just one serving of peanut butter?!  Why yes, yes I do.  While perusing the isles at Whole Foods, I came across a peanut butter lover’s best friend, PB2.  They’ve packed all the peanuty (yes, peanuty) goodness into powder form with only 45 calories per 2 TBS serving.  If you love Peanut Butter but could stand to lose the extra calories and fats from your diet, this stuff is for you.  It’s my latest obsession addition to my protein shakes.


To the task at hand:  Make a delicious and good for you protein shake that you can consume after a hard workout or if you are in a hurry (always on the go right?), lunch.  I make this for my husband and I to share so you can half the ingredients if needed.   Sub in Silk or 1% milk and any of your favorite fruits to make this your own.


“The Elvis” Protein Shake

4 Scoops True Athlete Chocolate Protein Powder

2 TBS PB2

4 Cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk

1 Ripe Banana

Place the powdered ingredients into the blender first.  Throw in a banana, pour in the almond milk and pulse a few times to get the powder to mix.  You may have to scrape the sides with a spoon a couple of times to mix in the PB2.  Blend thoroughly.

I usually put mine in a to-go container to take with me in my lunch box or drink in the car on the way to work.  Now, go forth and enjoy!  



Calories:  510 (255 per serving)

Carbohydrates: 48 g (24g per serving)

Fat: 18g (9g per serving)

Protein:  50g (25g per serving)

Sodium: 1135g (568g per serving)

Sugars: 20g (10g per serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment