Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Go Greek

Anyone who raids my refrigerator will know it is full of greek yogurt. Packed in that tiny container is twice the protein of regular yogurt and a provides you with a great post work out snack. I am a huge fan of Fage, Oikos, and Voskos Greek Yogurt brands and turn to them often for snacking and post work out pick me ups. The downside? Anywhere from 15-20 grams of sugar per serving. Now, that isn't completely a bad thing, especially if you are burning calories with regular workouts, but if you can cut out some sugar, why not? While in the grocery store today I came across Yoplait Greek. I am not a fan of Yoplait regular yogurt considering it's either packed with sugar, packed with artificial sweeteners and has half the protein content than regular yogurt. I decided it was worth a shot and checked out the package. Kudos to Yoplait. They've managed to create a 100 calorie greek yogurt with only 9 grams of sugar. The 13g of protein in this little package is comparable to the 12-14 in the other brands with up to half of the sugar eliminated. Another plus? You save 30-60 calories than Voskos, Oikos, or Fage. So it must taste awful, right? Wrong. I promptly popped the top of the Black Cherry flavor this morning and was pleasantly surprised. Sure, it's not quite as thick and I will say I prefer the flavor of my other favorite greek yogurts, but I call this a success for Yoplait. If you are looking to add more protein (which you ARE, right?) AND cut the sugar, this greek yogurt is for you. So go on out and buy one. Or ten (not to consume all at once, of course). Pack one in your lunch box or grab one after that workout I know you are going to do today. Happy and Healthy Snacking!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the yogurt. It's a great snack and way to feel like you're indulging even when you're not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the plain greek yogurt, which has less sugar, and add frozen fruit to it. Sometimes, when I'm needing a sweet pick me up, I add honey. :D Very filling and satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion Jen. Strawberries and blueberries are my favorite additions :)

      Delete