Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Yabba Dabba Do!



My husband has been dutifully studying carbohydrate metabolism all semester and is concurrently reading Inside the Box by T.J. Murphy.  You can read more about the book if you wish (or even order it) but it basically covers the many aspects of CrossFit.  If you know anything about CrossFit, you know it focuses on HIIT training (see, I’m not crazy!??)  but there is also a section of the book dedicated to nutrition.  I have heard many “CrossFitters” (term of endearment, of course) swear by their new “Paleo” diet and achieve weight loss by actually consuming MORE fats and less carbohydrates (Shun them, shun the carb haters!)

Feel free to read more in depth about the Paleo diet (and biologist Dr. Loren Cordain) but the basic premise is a 40:30:30 ratio of carbohydrates, protein, and fats and those carbohydrates are to be unprocessed.  Basically, you eliminate agricultural based grain carbohydrates and opt for those you find naturally in fruits and vegetables already.  In essence, if your less evolved ancestor couldn’t hunt it down or gather it up, don’t eat it.  Now, you know I believe whole heartedly that we are victims of evolution when it comes to the battle of the bulge.  So perhaps this paleolithic diet is all it’s cracked up to be and we truly have not lost our ancestral need for a hunter/gatherer diet.  

So, why am I rambling about paleo?  Well, my husband and I (it’s easier when a friend does it with you, right?) are transitioning to the paleo diet this week.  Now, my husband will probably have no problem doing this as he’s a meat eating cave man anyway.  He can sit down and devour an 18 oz hunk of Texas’ finest without any issue.  

So then we get to me.  I am a “carbivore” to the core.  I.  Love.  Carbs.  The second best thing to finishing a mud run or half marathon?  Eating delicious carbs.  Bagels, pasta, potatoes!  Carbohydrate heaven.  You know what else I love?  Cheese.  Delcious, melty, creamy, cheesy goodness.  Both of these things are off limits on the paleo diet.  So why on earth would I want to eliminate the things that I love?!  Well, after following the hubby’s advice and reading the nutrition section of the book as well as tracking down some studies on insulin resistance and the “agricultural revolution”, I honestly believe there is solid science behind the diet and I’m willing to try it.  I’m seeking that lean, mean, race winning machine of a body and I honestly believe my carbo loading habits are not going to get me there.  

So, am I telling you that you must go paleo with me? No.  Am I telling you  to cut out your carbs and your cheese?  No.  What I am telling you is this:   I am going to try this for at least 30 days.  Whatever my results are, in 30 days I will share with you my results… successful or unsuccessful.  Now usually I believe “fad” diets are ridiculous, unhealthy, and counterproductive.  However, give me research, studies, and biological evidence from a scientific prospective and I’m apt to at least give it a try.  I will give you a starting weight and body fat percentage and after 30 days, I’ll measure again. 

I will keep you informed throughout this journey and for better or for worse, you will know the outcome.  So, to all my fellow carbivores out there, have a bagel for me tomorrow.   Who knows?  Maybe if this truly is a great diet plan for me, you might consider giving it a try.  (With some research on your own first, right?!?)  But until then, think of me when you enjoy that Einstein Brothers bagel or that carbalicious pasta from Maggiano’s.  I never said it would be easy, I just said it would be worth it.  Time to test that mantra to the fullest.   So, if you’ve seen all the hype (and even if you haven’t)  I’m your paleo “guinea pig” for the next 30 days.  

This morning I prepared eggs with red sweet peppers and kale.  I resisted that wheat bagel thin and pita bread I normally would stuff my eggs into in the morning.  When Publix opens today (I know! I’m up writing before Publix is even open!) I’m on a mission to stock up on lots of veggies, fruits, and some lean proteins.  If I have lots of those things to turn to, I’m less likely to pull out that bagel and spread it with cheesy goodness. 

So, here we go.  Time to Paleo.

5 comments:

  1. I'll look forward to seeing how this goes. By the same token, what the hell am I gonna cook next month now???!!! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some nice smoked brisket and veggies fit the bill. Also, a friend of mine has been Paleo for about a year and is sending me a "BBQ" sauce recipe if you are interested :) If I find a Paleo "dessert" do you want to try that too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I'm sure your son has requests :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Best of luck to you, as are you, I am a lover of carbs too. As u could probably tell by seeing me in the hall today eating a salty nut bar on the go! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kristin! Nuts are good (and Paleo)! I just have to eat them in their raw form and not covered in sugary syrup or nestled in granola :)

    ReplyDelete