Thursday, March 14, 2013

Do you want fries with that?


I’m normally pretty awkward and incompetent when it comes to “shopping” in the “girly” sense of the word.  I will usually decide what I’m going for first, then go and get out as quickly as possible, limiting my interaction with little humans, Beiber crazed teenagers who insist on wearing more underwear than pants, and others who I had hoped Darwin’s theory would have taken care of a long time ago.  But, every once in a while, I get that urge to just roam around the mall.  Like... for a long time.  What!?  BOGO at Bath and Body Works?!  I’m there.  Two for one tees at Old Navy?!  I’m there.  Before I know it (or can control myself), It’s been two hours and my stomach is growling.  Surrounding me is a plethora of soft pretzel, nacho, caramel macchiato, french fry, double bacon, Chinese take-out temptation.  


 I try to avoid “fast food” but in instances such as these, it’s not very convenient to pack a complete lunch to the mall with me, and there’s no way I’m going home yet.  So what’s a girl to do?

Now I don’t advocate always turning to these restaurants as your main sources for lunch/dinner/etc. but there are a few places I can turn to for a descent, not double fried, “healthy” lunch when I’m away from home.  I’ve made a nice convenient list of some of my favorites, all of which you can click on and go straight to their nutrition calculator.  I know all of you reading this have a smarty phone device so just pull up the nutritional information and make a better lunch decision.  (No smart phone?  Most places now offer a menu with nutritional information.  Don't hesitate to request one!)













Even Wendy’s has a couple of salad options that won’t be so bad if that’s all you have around although their ingredient freshness is to be debated.


You can choose salads at most places if you wish or you can also substitute items like fruit cups instead of french fries.  Always check the options carefully depending on your goals.  If you are trying to lose weight, choosing a “salad” with crispy chicken, wonton strips, and ranch dressing is not going to be a good choice.  Grilled chicken and vinaigrette dressings are better options.


Trying to lose weight and/or eat healthier?  Avoid these places like the plague.  


McDonald’s (Have you seen this video!?  King Tut himself has less preservatives)




Five Guy’s Burgers and Fries (I know, I know.  It tastes delicious and I can’t say that I never eat here because out of them all, this place is my guilty pleasure.  But look at the nutrition information!  I decided I wanted this after a half marathon in November.  That was NOT a good choice.  I can tell you from experience you will not feel good after eating here)


Ultimately, the less processed food you can eat the better.  It’s up to you to take control of your life and choose the salad over the waffle fries or the grilled chicken over the bacon cheeseburger.  I will say this:  The more you eat healthy foods, the “bad” foods don’t settle as well with you when you do consume them and you may find yourself nursing a churning stomach after a trip through the drive thru for a large combo with fries and a coke.


Fell off the wagon and ate chicken McNuggets?  It’s not the end of the world.  Pick yourself up off the floor (which is where you will probably be since it will make you sick), get back out there and make healthy choices tomorrow.  Work out, fuel your body with good, wholesome foods and eventually those nuggets/fries/frostys/blizzards will be the last thing you crave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment